Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Warm Sago Pudding with Cardamom Peaches
Nostalgic winter dessert to enjoy around the braai or in front of the fire.
- 2 x 410 g cans Rhodes Quality Peach Halves in Syrup
- 125 ml (½ cup) water
- 10 cardamom pods, smashed
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
- 250 ml (1 C) sago
- 1 lt (4 C) 4 milk
- 125 ml (½ cup) sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
- 30 ml (2 T) butter, softened
- 3 eggs, separated
- 65 ml (¼ C) Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam
- Drain the Rhodes Quality Peach Halves from the syrup and place the syrup into a small saucepan.
- Add the water, cardamom pods, cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the warm syrup over the reserved peach halves and leave to steep and cool in the syrup.
- Place the sago in a medium-sized saucepan together with the milk and leave to stand for one hour.
- Add the sugar, vanilla essence, and butter and stir well to mix.
- Bring to a simmer over a medium heat.
- Cook, stirring consistently, for about 15 minutes or until the sago is completely transparent and is a thick and creamy consistency.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs until fluffy and then stir into the sago.
- Pour the mixture into an ovenproof baking dish or ramekin which has been brushed with melted butter.
- Spoon the Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam onto the top of the pudding and bake in an oven that has been preheated to 180°C for 20 minutes or until the pudding is set and golden on the top.
- Serve warm with the cardamom spiced peaches.