Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Fruity Sago Pudding
We’ve added a touch of apricot, together with a meringue topping, to an old-fashioned dessert that has stood the test of time. Rich and creamy, it’s easy to see why sago pudding is such a firm favourite.
- 250 ml (1 C) sago
- 1 lt (4 C) 4 milk
- 190 ml + 80 ml sugar
- 1 vanilla pod / 5 ml vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, separated
- 30 ml (2 T) butter
- 65 ml Rhodes Quality Apricot jam
- Rinse the sago.
- Place the sago in a medium-sized saucepan together with the milk, 190 ml sugar and vanilla, and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Cook, stirring consistently for about 20 minutes or until the sago is completely transparent and is a thick and creamy consistency.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the egg yolks and the butter.
- Pour the mixture into an ovenproof baking dish or ramekins which have been brushed with melted butter.
- Melt the Rhodes Apricot Jam and drizzle the jam over the top of the sago pudding.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks and then slowly beat in 80 ml sugar, one tablespoon at a time, to a glossy meringue.
- Spoon the meringue over the sago.
- Bake the pudding in an oven that has been preheated to 180°C until the meringue is golden, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with Hinds custard if desired.