Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Crispy Fried Chicken with Coronation-style Coleslaw
- 200 g (1 baby) green cabbage
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 250 ml (1 C) mayonnaise
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam
- 15 ml (1 T) milk
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Pakco Traditional Masala Curry Powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 chicken pieces
- 1 lt. (4 Cups) water
- onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 125 ml all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 250 ml (1 cup) Hinds Southern Coating Original
- oil for frying
- To prepare the coleslaw, remove the stem and thinly slice the cabbage.
- Grate the carrots and toss with the cabbage to mix.
- To make the dressing whisk together the mayonnaise, apricot jam and milk.
- Add the Pakco Traditional Masala Curry Powder and whisk until well blended.
- Season to taste with the salt and black pepper.
- Add half of the dressing to the slaw mix and toss well until all the vegetables are evenly coated.
- Add the remaining dressing if desired.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large saucepan.
- Cover with water and add the onion and bay leaves.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the chicken pieces well and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Toss the chicken in the flour and shake off any excess.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg and then toss in the Hinds Southern Coating until evenly coated.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden and crispy.
- Drain on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot with the coronation coleslaw on the side.