The whole family will love this delicious, tender and juicy chicken casserole. If you have a heavy bottomed pan that can go from stove to oven, then this casserole becomes a one pot meal that cooks slowly in the oven while you get other things done.
- 30 ml (2 T) olive oil
- 12 chicken thighs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 250 ml (1 C) whiskey or prepared chicken stock
- 375 ml (1½ C) barbecue sauce
- 1 x 450 g can Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam
- 125 ml (½ C) water
- 30 ml (2 T) Worcester sauce
- 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and brown the chicken thighs on both sides in batches and set aside.
- Drain the excess chicken fat from the saucepan, add the onion and fry until brown.
- Add the whiskey or prepared chicken stock and allow to reduce for a few minutes.
- Add the barbeque sauce, Rhodes Quality Smooth Apricot Jam, water, Worcester sauce and whole garlic cloves, and stir to combine.
- Transfer the chicken with sauce to a casserole, cover and cook in a preheated oven at 180C for 1 hour (60 minutes) or until cooked to your liking.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.