Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Vegetarian Bunny Chow
Inspired by Durban’s iconic bunny-chow, our recipe calls for a hollowed out bread loaf that is filled with a combination of nutritious veg, spices and beans.
- 10 ml (2 t) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 15 ml (1 T) garam masala
- 5 ml (1 t) ground turmeric
- 5 ml (1 t) ground cumin
- 15 ml (1 T) ground coriander
- 45 ml (3 T) fruit chutney
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Mixed Vegetables in Brine, drained
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Green Beans Cross Cut in Brine, drained
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Tomatoes Chopped & Peeled
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Butter Beans in Curry Sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 loaves fresh white unsliced bread, halved and hollowed out (keep removed dough for serving),Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Fry the onions in the oil until soft and golden.
- Add the garlic, ginger, spices and chutney and fry together for 1 minute.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Mixed Vegetables, Rhodes Quality Green Beans Cross Cut , Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes and Rhodes Quality Butter Beans in Curry Sauce.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Season the mixture to taste and spoon into the hollowed-out bread.
- Top with the removed pieces of bread and serve.