Prepared in under 20 minutes, this soup is full of flavour and uses just 4 main ingredients. Served with crispy garlic toasts.
- ½ onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 10 ml (2 tsp) coconut oil
- 2 x 115 g Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste Cups
- 500 ml (2 cups) non-dairy milk
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) fresh basil leaves, chopped
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Garlic Toasts
- 6 slices vegan bread, ciabatta or similar
- 125 g (½ cup) vegan butter, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 10 ml (2 tsp) flat leaf parsley or fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Place the onion and the garlic in a food processor and process to a paste.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add the onion paste and cook, stirring without colouring, until the softened.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste Cups and fry for two minutes more.
- Add the non-dairy milk and bring the soup to high heat.
- Season to taste with the sugar, basil leaves, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for five minutes and remove from the heat.
- To make the garlic toasts, whisk the butter until soft and smooth.
- Add the garlic and the herbs and mix to well combined.
- Season to taste.
- Spread each slice of bread with garlic butter and place on a baking tray.
- Toast in an oven preheated to 180°C for 5 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Serve the soup hot with the garlic toasts on the side.