Pretty celebration cupcakes for any occasion. Cupcakes freeze well, so make extra and freeze them (without icing) until needed. Defrost at room temperature, ice and decorate before serving.
- 250 ml (1 C) buttermilk
- 125 ml butter
- 125 ml honey
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- 4 eggs
- 375 ml caster sugar
- 500 ml (2 C) cake flour
- 20 ml (4 t) baking powder
- pinch of salt
- In a saucepan, heat the buttermilk, butter and honey together.
- Whisk well and remove from the heat and add the vanilla essence.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until light.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk the flour mixture into the egg mixture, alternating with the milk mixture.
- Pour the batter into the cavities of a muffin pan that you’ve lined with paper cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven preheated to 180 C for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Make the honey butter icing by beating together the butter and the honey until smooth, pale and light.
- Add the icing sugar and beat until well mixed and smooth.
- Add 15 – 30 ml (1 – 2 T) milk to soften the consistency if required.
- Ice the top of each cupcake with a generous serving of the honey butter icing and decorate as desired.