We have given a regular upside-down cake a spicy twist, turning an ordinary treat into a festive dessert.
- 65 ml butter
- 125 ml light brown sugar
- 1 x 440 g can Rhodes Quality Pineapple Rings in Syrup, drained
- 125 ml butter
- 125 ml white sugar
- 1 egg
- 315 ml cake flour
- 10 ml (2 t) baking powder
- 5 ml (1 t) mixed spice
- 2.5 ml salt
- 125 ml milk
To serve: ready-made custard
- Melt 65 ml of butter and pour it into the bottom of a tart pan.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the melted butter.
- Arrange the Rhodes Quality Pineapple Rings on top of the butter and sugar layer.
- Cream the 125 ml butter and the white sugar together until light and beat in the egg.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and mixed spice together and add to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk, whisking to create a smooth batter.
- Spread the batter over the pineapple rings and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 35 – 40 minutes or until golden.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes before turning out onto a plate.
- Serve warm with custard.