Got vegetarian friends coming over? Then serve this rice- and vegetable-stuffed butternut. It’s budget friendly and delicious. It can also be served as a side dish.
- 1 butternut, halved, seeds discarded
- 30 ml (2 T) olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 ml cooked white rice
- Rhodes Quality Tomato Italian Style
- 250 ml (1 C) green peas, boiled and drained
- 45 ml (3 T) grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the butternut halves in a roasting pan.
- Use a sharp knife to cut slits into the flesh of the butternut.
- Sprinkle the olive oil over the butternut and season with the salt and pepper.
- Bake the butternut in an oven preheated to 180°C for 30 minutes or until the butternut is tender.
- Mix together the rice, Rhodes Quality Tomato Italian Style and the drained peas.
- Divide the rice mixture between the two butternut cavities.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top of the rice.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top.
- Return the butternuts to the oven and bake for 10 minutes more or until the filling is hot.
- Serve immediately.
- Sprinkle with cheese, wrap lightly in foil and bake for 30 – 40 min.