Cheesy baked braai buns; a home baked braai side dish.
- 600 g (4 cups) bread flour or cake flour
- 10 ml (2 tsp) salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 1 x 10 g packet dried yeast
- 65 ml (¼ cup) butter, melted, divided
- 500 ml (2 cups) lukewarm water
- 1 x 400g can Rhodes Quality Braai Relish
- 250 ml (1 cup/125g) grated Cheddar Cheese
to serve: softened butter,Places the Rhodes Quality Chickpeas into a bowl and mash with a potato masher.
- To make the bread dough, sift the flour, salt and sugar into the bowl of a mixer.
- Sprinkle over the yeast.
- Pour in 15 ml (1 Tbsp) of the butter.
- Using the dough hook attachment and the mixer on a medium speed; add enough of the water to bring together a soft dough.
- The dough must be able to knead easily and should not stick to your hands or the bowl.
- Continue to knead the dough for about ten minutes until it is elastic and smooth.
- Form into a ball and place in a floured bowl.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave in a warm spot to rise until it has doubled in size.
- Knock the dough down with your fist and knead again.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough on a floured surface, into a rectangular shape.
- Spread the Rhodes Quality Braai Relish over the dough and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Roll up the rectangle from the long side, securing the edge by pinching together to make a seam.
- Use a bread knife to cut the roll into even sized slices.
- Turn the slices on their side and place into a large baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Cover the rolls with a damp cloth and leave to double in size.
- Brush braai buns with the remaining melted butter.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180°C for about 20 minutes or until the buns are golden brown and baked through.
- Best served warm.