This is an easy all-in-one pan breakfast, which will be loved by adults and children alike. This Spinach & Tomato Eggs in the Hole recipe is filling and full of flavour. Made with the goodness of Rhodes Quality Tomato Italian Style.
- 1 x 400g can Rhodes Quality Tomato Italian Style
- 4 thick-cut slices of fresh bread
- 225 g packet streaky bacon
- 200 g baby spinach leaves, washed
- 60 ml (2 T) butter
- 4 large eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cooking tip: If cooking for a crowd, transfer the eggs in the hole from the frying pan to a baking sheet just as the eggs begin to set. Once all the toasts are ready, finish off in the oven until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut a hole from the centre of 4 thick-cut bread slices.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and then add the bacon slices and fry until crisp and golden.
- Drain the bacon on a paper towel.
- Discard the excess fat and in the same pan, quickly fry the baby spinach leaves for 1-2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove the spinach and set it aside.
- Melt 30 ml (2 T) of the butter in the frying pan over a medium heat then add 2 bread slices into the pan and toast on one side for a few minutes until golden.
- Turn the bread over and into the hole add a tablespoon or two of the Rhodes Quality Tomato Italian Style and top with some cooked spinach.
- Break 1 egg into each hole. Sprinkle a little seasoning onto each egg.
- Cover the frying pan with a lid and cook until the eggs set.
- Remove the egg in the hole from the pan and repeat with the remaining ingredients.