A budget friendly pasta dinner. We love a quick & easy pasta dish and this recipe will fast become one of your go to weekday stars.
- 600 g spicy sausage or boerewors
- 30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 medium aubergine, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 baby marrows, chopped
- 2 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Tomato Italian Style
- 4 x 250 ml (4 C) cooked penne pasta
- to serve: 3 T fresh basil leaves, grated parmesan cheese
- Remove the sausage or boerewors from its casing.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the sausage meat until almost cooked.
- Remove the sausage meat from the pan and set aside.
- Discard excess fat in the pan.
- Add the onion and fry for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the aubergine, pepper and baby marrow and fry, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes more.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Tomato Italian Style.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer the sauce until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Return the sausage meat to the pan.
- Continue to simmer the sauce for a further 5 minutes or until the sausage meat is cooked through.
- Add the cooked penne pasta to the sauce and toss well to mix.
- Serve immediately with the fresh basil leaves and sprinkled with the parmesan cheese.