Soup is the winter kitchen’s staple. This pureed chickpea soup carries the robust flavour of the roasted cauliflower and chickpeas; hearty and delicious.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) olive oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) paprika
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 litre (4 cups) prepared vegetable stock
- 125 ml (½ cup) cream
to serve: fresh croutons
- Place the cauliflower florets, Rhodes Quality Chickpeas and garlic cloves into a large bowl.
- Add the cumin, paprika and 45 ml (3 Tbsp) of the olive oil. Toss well to mix.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the chickpeas and cauliflower out on a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper.
- Roast in an oven that has been preheated to 180°C for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Place the potatoes and the stock in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the roasted chickpea and cauliflower mixture, setting aside some of the mixture for garnish.
- Remove the soup from the heat and allow to cool.
- Puree the soup until thick and smooth in a liquidiser or using a hand held blender.
- Return the puréed soup to the saucepan and bring to the heat over a low temperature.
- Stir in the cream.
- Season to taste.
- Serve topped with the reserved roasted chickpeas and cauliflower and fresh croutons