Crisp warm fritters are a sweet and delicious warm winter pudding. Comfort cooking doesn’t get better than this.
- 250 ml (1 C) cream
- 125 ml (½ C) brown sugar
- 100 g cake flour
- 65 ml butter
- Rhodes Quality Pear Halves
- To make the caramel sauce, place the cream, butter and brown sugar into a small saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, stirring often until all the sugar has dissolved and the sauce is smooth. Set aside.
- Make the fritter batter by sifting the 100 g cake flour and the salt into a medium sized bowl.
- Mix together the water and the oil.
- Using a whisk beat the water mix into the flour mix until all the ingredients are well blended and form a smooth stiff batter.
- In a separate clean bowl whisk the egg whites until they are white in colour, fluffy and form soft peaks.
- Fold the eggs whites gently into the batter.
- Toss the drained Rhodes Quality Pear Halves in the 125 ml cake flour until well coated.
- Bring the oil to the heat in a large saucepan.
- Dip each floured pear half in the batter until well coated.
- Allow the immediate excess to drip off and then fry gently in the hot oil until golden, turning once during cooking.
- Drain the pear fritters on paper towel and then dust with the cinnamon sugar.
- Repeat with the remaining pears.
- Serve the fritters warm with the caramel sauce.