Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Slow cooked and tender, this oxtail stew is comfort cooking at its finest. It takes some time in the oven, which means that your home will be filled with the most delicious aromas.
- 125 ml cake flour
- salt, pepper and ground nutmeg
- 1 kg oxtail
- 45 ml – 90 ml (3 – 6 T) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 45 ml (3 T) cake flour
- 500 ml (2 C) prepared beef stock, hot (plus 250 ml (1 C) reserved)
- 250 ml (1 C) red wine
- 2 x 400 g Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 x 115 g Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste Cup
- 3 bay leaves
- 800 g baby potatoes, halved
- Place the flour into a large bowl and season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add the oxtail pieces and toss to coat with flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat 45 ml (3 T) of the oil in a large saucepan.
- Brown the oxtail in batches until golden.
- Add the remaining oil to the same saucepan and add the onion, leeks, celery and carrots.
- Fry until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the 45 ml (3 T) cake flour.
- Add the 500 ml (2 C) stock, red wine, Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes and the Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste Cup.
- Stir well to mix and then bring the sauce to the boil.
- Season to taste.
- Add back the oxtail pieces and the bay leaves.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Turn the heat down to a very low simmer, or alternatively, move the oxtail to an oven preheated to 150°C and braise for 2 hours.
- Add the baby potatoes, and if necessary 250 ml (1 C) of additional stock and braise for a further 1 hour or until the oxtail is tender.
- Correct the seasoning, remove the bay leaves and serve hot over mashed potatoes.