Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Lentil and Butternut Bobotie
Vegetarian bobotie which is both filling and economical, a nutritious winter family meal.
- 250 ml (1 cup) brown lentils
- 1 medium butternut, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) sunflower oil, divided
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) sage leaves, chopped
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Tomato Chopped & Peeled Mixed Herbs
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) Pakco Mild & Spicy Masala Curry Powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 500 ml (2 cups) plain yoghurt
- 6 eggs
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- to serve: rice, coconut and chutney
- Place the lentils in a large bowl.
- Cover with cold water and leave to soak for 2-4 hours.
- Drain the lentils, rinse and drain again.
- Place the lentils in a saucepan of clean water and boil for 10 – 15 minutes until tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- Place the butternut in a roasting tray.
- Season with 15 ml (1 Tbsp) of the oil, sage, salt and pepper.
- Roast in an oven preheated to 180°C for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and fry to soften.
- Add the garlic and fry for a few minutes more.
- Add the lentils and stir to mix.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Tomato Chopped & Peeled Mixed Herbs and the Pakco Mild & Spicy Masala Curry Powder.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste and remove from the heat.
- Stir in the cooked butternut and then transfer the mixture to an oven proof dish.
- Arrange the bay leaves on the top of the lentils.
- Whisk together the yogurt, eggs and turmeric and pour over the lentils.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180°C for 30 minutes or until the bobotie custard has set.
- Serve over rice, with coconut and chutney.