Pretty has never tasted more delicious. We’ve mixed up the nations to create this must-bake recipe: a Swiss roll filled with strawberry jam and coated in an Australian Lamington-inspired coconut finish.
- 6 large eggs
- 250 ml (1 C) castor sugar
- 250 ml (1 C) cake flour
- 5 ml (1 t) baking powder
- 15 ml (1 T) boiling water
- 125 ml castor sugar
- 125 ml Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam
- 385 g (3 C) icing sugar
- 125 ml (½ C) milk
- 30 ml (2 T) butter
- 65 ml ( ¼ C) cocoa powder
- 250 g (2 C) desiccated coconut
- Beat the eggs and 250 ml castor sugar until the mixture is thick and creamy and leaves a trail.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and gently fold into the eggs.
- Fold in the boiling water.
- Pour the batter onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake in the oven preheated to 180°C for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and turn out onto a second sheet of baking paper dusted with the 125 ml castor sugar.
- Remove the top sheet of baking paper and allow to cool.
- Spread a layer of Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam over the cake.
- Roll up lengthways.
- To make the glaze, place the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a heat-proof bowl and whisk in the milk.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until the icing is warm.
- Whisk in the butter until melted.
- Pour the glaze over the roll, working it gently with the back of a spoon to evenly coat the roll on all sides.
- Allow any excess glaze to run off.
- Roll the Lamington roll in the desiccated coconut until the roll is evenly covered on all sides.
- Leave to set on a tray lined with baking paper before serving.