Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
We’ve taken the Lamington cake to new double-layered heights. One layer is pretty in a pink glaze the other has a chocolate glaze. That’s double the colour, flavour and fun.
- 250 g (1 C) butter
- 300 g (2 C) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 500 g (4 C) self-raising flour
- 1 ml salt
- 2.5 ml vanilla essence
- 250 ml (1 C) milk
- Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam
- Cream the butter and the sugar using an electric mixer until pale and and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour and salt together.
- Mix the milk and the vanilla essence together.
- Alternating a few spoonfuls at a time, add the flour and the milk to the batter.
- Spoon the batter into 2 round baking pans that have been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake the sponges in an oven which has been preheated to 180°C for 30 minutes or until the cakes are golden and firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To make the glaze, place the icing sugar into a heat proof bowl and whisk in the milk.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until the icing is warm.
- Whisk in the butter until melted.
- Remove from the heat and divide the glaze into 2 bowls.
- To 1 bowl add pink food colouring drop by drop until desired colour is reached.
- To the second bowl add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
- Trim the two cake layers if necessary to even the tops.
- Pour the pink filling over the one cake layer and spread evenly down the sides, allowing any excess to run off.
- Sprinkle the cake top and sides with coconut.
- Repeat with the second cake layer and the chocolate glaze.
- To make the filling, cream the butter until pale and light.
- Beat in the icing sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the pink food colouring.
- Add 45 ml (3 T) Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam and beat well.
- Add extra Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam as desired to taste.
- Spread the strawberry filling in an even, thin layer over 1 of the Lamington cake layers and sandwich the 2 layers together.
- Decorate as desired.