Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Beef Stew with Herb Dumplings
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800 g beef stew pieces
- 125 g (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Tomato Chopped and Peeled
- 500 ml prepared Bisto Gravy
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste
- 125 g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 60 g coconut oil or vegetable fat
- 15 ml (3 Tbsp) flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large casserole and fry the onion for 5min or until softened.
- Add carrot and the garlic and fry for a few minutes more.
- Toss the beef pieces in the flour and shake off any excess.
- Add to the pan and stir well to mix.
- Pour in the Rhodes Quality Tomato Chopped and Peeled and the prepared Bisto Gravy.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Tomato paste and bring the sauce to the boil, stirring consistently.
- The meat and vegetables should just be covered with liquid, but if not top up with a little water.
- Reduce the heat, cover the saucepan with a lid and simmer, stirring regularly, for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- To make the dumplings, sift the flour into a large bowl and stir in the coconut oil, herbs and seasoning.
- The dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
- Season the stew to taste.
- Place teaspoonfuls of the dumpling batter onto the top of the stew, spacing them a little apart.
- Return the stew to the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the dumplings are puffed and baked through.
- Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.