These flourless (gluten-free) chocolate brownies are wonderfully rich and dense. Packed full of protein and fiber, chickpea brownies can almost pass for being healthy. A great treat to make for guests who avoid gluten.
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 30 ml (2 T) plain yoghurt
- 80 ml cocoa powder
- 160 ml sugar
- 5 ml (1 t) instant coffee
- 10 ml (2 t) gluten free baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml chocolate chips,
- Puree the Rhodes Quality Chickpeas together with the yoghurt using a blender or food processor.
- Place the cocoa powder, sugar, coffee and baking powder in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs and the pureed chickpea mixture.
- Beat until well blended and smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the small baking pan which has been sprayed with non-stick spray and lined with baking paper.
- Bake the brownies in an oven that has been preheated to 180 C for 25 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool.
- To make the chocolate glaze, place the icing sugar into a medium sized bowl.
- Add the cocoa powder and stir to mix.
- Slowly whisk in the water until the glaze is thick and shiny.
- Pour the glaze over the top of the brownies and spread evenly across the top using a spatula or knife.
- Cut the brownies into 9-12 even sized squares and serve.