Large and generously sweet, this cake is quick and easy to make. Enjoy the wonderfully crunchy texture on the outside and the soft and smooth centre.
- 2 x 432 g cans Rhodes Quality Pineapple Crush in Light Syrup
- 80 ml soft butter
- 125 ml castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- 315 ml cake flour
- 10 ml (2 t) baking powder
- 1 ml salt
- 125 ml desiccated coconut
- 80 ml white sugar
- 80 ml pecan nuts, chopped
- 45 ml (3 T) butter, melted
- to serve: whipped cream
- Drain and reserve the fruit as well as 80 ml of the juice of the Rhodes Quality Pineapple Crush.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and castor sugar until light.
- Add the egg and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and add to the butter mixture, alternating with the reserved pineapple syrup, mixing until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into a large, buttered and lined cake pan spreading it up the sides.
- Spoon the pineapple crush on top of the batter.
- Mix the coconut, white sugar and nuts together and sprinkle over the pineapple.
- Pour the melted butter over and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for one hour or until golden.
- Serve with lightly whipped cream.