- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) sunflower oil
- 500 g minced beef
- 1 x large onion
- 1 x carrot
- 2 x celery sticks
- 2 x garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Tomato Chopped & Peeled
- 2 x 50 g Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste sachets
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Mixed Vegetables, drained
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried mixed herbs
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 roll phyllo pastry, thawed
- 125 ml (½ cup) butter, melted
- 65 ml (¼ cup) parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
- Add the mince and fry over a high heat to brown.
- Drain any excess fat.
- Finely chop the vegetables and add to the pan with the garlic.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Tomato Chopped & Peeled and the Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste.
- Add the herbs and season well.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thickens.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Mixed Vegetables and simmer for a few minutes more.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- To assemble the pie, lay a sheet of phyllo pastry on a clean work surface.
- Brush the sheet with butter.
- Lay another sheet of pastry on top of the first and brush with butter.
- Repeat with a third sheet of pastry.
Take half of the bolognese sauce and spoon it in a row down the long edge of the phyllo pastry.
- Roll the phyllo over the mince and into a long sausage.
- Coil the pastry sausage carefully.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Tuck the edge of the second sausage into the end of the first and continue to coil to form a spiral.
- Place the pastry coil onto a baking sheet that has been lined with baking paper.
- Brush the coil with butter and sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 190°c for 30 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Serve hot.