This delicious pudding is so popular with the family, you can serve it over and over again. Vary the jam and fruit filling to suit your mood and the occasion.
- 500 ml (2 C) cake flour
- 10 ml (2 t) baking powder
- 5 ml (1 t) ground cinnamon
- 1 ml (¼ t) salt
- 125 ml (½ C) cold butter, cubed
- 1 extra-large egg
- 125 ml (½ C) milk
- 250 ml (1 C) Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Apricot Halves in Syrup
- 125 ml (½ C) sugar
- 250 ml (1 C) water
- 10 ml (2 t) vanilla essence
- Prepare the dough by sifting the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together.
- Rub in half of the butter.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg and milk together and add enough of the mixture to the flour mixture to form a soft, manageable dough then roll it out on a surface, sprinkled with flour, to form an oblong.
- Spread a layer of Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam evenly over the dough.
- Carefully roll the dough up lengthways and cut into 5 cm thick slices.
- Arrange the slices on the cut sides in a greased oven dish, leaving enough room between the slices so that they can expand and rise.
- Drain the Rhodes Quality Apricots in Syrup and pour the syrup into a small saucepan. Cut the apricots in smaller pieces and stick a piece into the centre of each dough slice.
- Add the rest of the butter, the sugar, the water and the vanilla to the syrup and stir until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted then pour over the dough slices.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 40 – 50 minutes or until the pudding is golden and baked through.
- Serve with custard, cream or ice cream.