Quick and easy to prepare, these fruit tarts are a firm after-dinner favourite. They are simple, tasty and can be enjoyed with cream or ice cream.
- 400 g puff pastry
- 1 egg, thoroughly beaten with a little cold milk
- 2 x 410 g cans Rhodes Quality Apricot Halves in Syrup, drained
- 125 ml (½ C) Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam, melted
- castor sugar
- Lightly roll out the pastry on a floured surface and using a cookie cutter or bowl, cut out 6 large circles from the dough.
- Lightly score the pastry with the back of a knife about 1 cm in from the circles edges to help them puff up during baking.
- Now transfer the pastry to a greased baking sheet and brush lightly with the egg mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 210°C for 15 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Take out of the oven and remove and discard the inner pastry circle.
- Pile the Rhodes Quality Apricots into the centre of each pastry, brush the apricots with Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam and sprinkle to taste with castor sugar.
- Grill under the oven grill or use a blowtorch to caramelise the tops of the apricots.
- Serve with a dollop of thick cream or vanilla ice cream.