Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Apricot Danish Pastries
Worth the effort sweet almond buttery pastries for breakfast or brunch
- 500 g (4 Cups) cake flour
- 1 x 10g sachet instant yeast
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) caster sugar
- 5 ml (1tsp) salt
- 250 ml (1 Cup) milk, warmed
- 1 large egg
- 250 g (1 Cup) butter, softened
- 100 g marzipan
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Apricot Halves, drained
- 65 ml Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam, warmed
- Place the flour into a large bowl.
- Stir in the yeast, sugar and salt.
- Mix the milk and egg together and pour into the flour then mix well, first with a spoon and then by hand to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough very lightly to form a ball and then roll it out to a rectangle about 1cm thick.
- Spread the softened butter over two-thirds of the rectangle, leaving the bottom third plain.
- Fold up the bottom third over the butter, and then fold the top third down over the top.
- Wrap it in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Re-roll the dough to a large rectangle, then repeat the folding by folding up the bottom third and then the top third and pressing the ridges down with the rolling pin.
- Chill the dough for an hour.
- Repeat the rolling and folding process once more, and chill it for a further hour.
- Roll the dough out to a large square.
- Trim off the edges of the dough, and cut into 12 squares.
- Cut into the squares diagonally from each corner to just before the centre.
- Brush a little water in the centre, then fold in one side of each edge to give the pinwheel shape and press the corners down well in the centre.
- Divide the marzipan into 12 and roll each piece into a ball.
- Place each ball in the centre of the pinwheel.
- Place one Rhodes Quality Apricot Halves on top of the marzipan.
- Place the pinwheels on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Leave the pastries in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.
- Brush some Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam over the pastries and bake in an oven preheated to 190C for 20-25 minutes or until light golden and crisp.
- Brush over the with a little more apricot jam.
- Transfer the pastries to a wire rack to cool.