Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Vetkoek with Polony & Chakalaka
Vetkoek is always a South African favourite, so we’ve added a polony and tasty chakalaka filling to create a recipe that is light on the budget and big on taste. Perfect for when it comes to cooking for many.
- 1 kg (7 C) cake flour
- 5 ml (1 t) salt
- 10 ml (2 t) sugar
- 65 ml butter
- 1 packet instant yeast (10 g)
- 750 – 875 ml warm water
- sunflower oil for frying
- Rhodes Quality Mild & Spicy Chakalaka
- Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles crumbs.
- Add the yeast and stir well to mix.
- Then add enough of the warm water to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic, cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise until it has doubled in size.
- Knock the dough down and divide it into 30 equal pieces.
- Roll into balls and place on a floured baking sheet, leaving enough space between them to expand and rise.
- Cover and leave to rise in a warm spot for another 30 minutes.
- Half fill a saucepan with oil and heat.
- Fry the vetkoek over medium-high heat until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- To make the filling, heat the oil in a medium frying pan.
- Add the polony and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain any excess fat.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Mild & Spicy Chakalaka.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce is heated through.
- Serve the vetkoek hot, filled with the polony and chakalaka.