Served fresh out of the oven, this sweet orange breakfast style bread is perfect for a brunch party.
- 330 ml (1 ⅓ cups) Rhodes Quality Orange 100% Fruit Juice Blend
- 100 ml (⅓ cup + 4 tsp) butter
- 1 x 10g packet dried yeast
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 600 g (4 ¾ cups) cake flour
- 125 ml (½ cup) Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam, divided
- 125 ml (½ cup) brown sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 00 ml (2 cups) icing sugar
- 65 ml (¼ cup) Rhodes Quality Orange 100% Fruit Juice Blend
- Place the Rhodes Quality Orange 100% Fruit Juice Blend and the butter into a small saucepan.
- Heat gently until the butter is melted.
- Remove from the heat, pour into a bowl and cool to lukewarm.
- Add the yeast, salt and sugar and stir well.
- Leave to stand until the yeast blooms.
- Place the cake flour into a large bowl.
- Add the yeast mixture and form into a soft dough.
- Knead for about 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough into a lightly floured bowl, cover with a damp cloth and prove until doubled in size.
- Knock the dough down and on a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a large rectangle.
- Gently warm 65 ml (¼ cup) of the Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam and brush all over right to the edges of the dough.
- Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the Apricot Jam.
- Roll the dough up into a log from the long side and pinch the seam to secure.
- Cut right through the dough along the middle of the log, beginning and ending 5 cm from each end to leave the edges intact.
- Twist the two halves of the log around each other twice and circle the two ends together to form a twisted round bread.
- Place the bread in a large shallow oven casserole (or onto a baking sheet) that has been sprayed with non-stick spray and lined with baking paper.
- Leave the bread to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Brush the bread with the egg and bake in an oven preheated oven to 180°C for 30 – 40 minutes or until golden brown and baked through.
- As the bread comes out of the oven, brush with the remaining Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam.
- To make the glaze, sift the icing sugar into a large bowl.
- Whisk in the Rhodes Quality Orange 100% Fruit Juice Blend until smooth and thick.
- Pour the glaze over the bread.