This soup has spice, heat and crunch. This Mexican dish is a firm favourite.
- 2-3 tortilla wraps, cut lengthways into strips
- Oil for frying
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp.) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp.) chilli powder
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) cumin powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) paprika
- 2 lt. (4 cups) prepared chicken stock
- 2 x 400 g cans Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 500 ml (2 cups) cooked, shredded chicken
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp.) lime juice
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 80 ml coriander leaves
To serve: Chopped avocado, grated cheddar cheese, sour cream
- To prepare the tortillas, heat enough oil in a frying pan to shallow-fry the tortillas.
- Add the tortilla strips and fry for a few minutes, turning regularly, until crisp and golden on both sides.
- Drain on kitchen paper towel.
- Set aside to cool.
- Heat the 15 ml (1 Tbsp.) oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions until soft.
- Add the jalapeno and fry for a few minutes more.
- Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add all the spices.
- Add the prepared chicken stock, Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes and the Rhodes Quality Black Beans.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Whole Kernel Corn and the chicken.
- Add the lime juice.
- Bring the soup to the boil and then lower the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the coriander.
- Season to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with tortilla crips, avocado, cheese and sour cream.
- Serve immediately.