This aromatic lamb rogan josh recipe of Persian origin is slow cooked to perfection. Allow for two to three hours’ cooking time and enjoy the aromatic flavours of coconut milk, curry paste and sweet apricots as they fill your home.
- 45 ml (3 T) sunflower oil
- 1 kg lamb knuckles
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 30 – 50 g prepared Rogan Josh curry paste
- 1 x 400 g Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes
- 500 ml (2 C) prepared lamb stock
- 1 x 400 ml can coconut milk
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Apricot Halves, drained
- To serve: chopped coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Fry the lamb knuckles on either side until browned and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and fry for 2 – 3 minutes or until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the curry paste and stir well.
- Return the meat to the pan.
- Add the Rhodes Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes and the lamb stock and bring to heat.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid.
- Simmer over a very gentle heat for 2 – 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Apricot Halves and heat through.
- Season to taste.
- To serve, sprinkle coriander over the curry.