Roosterkoek is a South African bread which is cooked over the braai and served with dollops of farm butter, fine jam, and even cheese. They are guaranteed to be delicious with any of your favourite Rhodes Quality Jam variants.
- 500 ml (2 C) cake flour
- 5 ml (1 t) salt
- 5 ml (1 t) sugar
- 10 g packet instant yeast
- 250 ml (1 C) warm water
To serve: Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam and grated cheddar cheese
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl.
- Add the salt, sugar and instant yeast and stir to mix.
- Slowly add enough of the water to bring the mixture together into a dough.
- The dough should be soft but not sticky.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes by hand.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a bowl.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Knead the dough back into a ball and divided evenly into 10 or 12 pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a sausage and the wrap the dough around a wooden skewer stick.
- Place the roosterkoek skewers on a tray lined with baking paper and leave to rise again for a few minutes.
- Cook the roosterkoek on a grid over medium heat coals, turning occasionally until cooked through.
- Serve hot straight off the coals with butter, Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam and cheddar cheese.