Preparing spare ribs from scratch is easier than you think. Follow our simple recipe and turn your next braai into a special occasion.
- 1.5 kg pork rib racks
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 peppercorns
- 3 parsley sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 litre prepared chicken stock
- 250 ml (1 C) Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam
- 1 x 440 g can Rhodes Quality Pineapple Rings in Light Syrup, drained, syrup reserved
- 65 ml soy sauce
- 30 ml (2 T) brown sugar
- 30 ml (2 T) white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 ml (1 t) ground ginger
- 1 ml cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- Place the ribs in a single layer in a roasting pan and add the bay leaves, peppercorns, parsley, the whole garlic and prepared stock.
- Cover tightly with foil and cook in a preheated oven at 180°C for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and cool in the stock.
- To make the glaze, mix the Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam, reserved pineapple syrup, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, crushed garlic and spices and season to taste.
- Braai the ribs and the Rhodes Quality Pineapple Rings over hot coals, basting with the glaze until browned and sticky then serve sliced.