Tender and succulent, this fried chicken favourite with chakalaka mayonnaise will fast become a family favourite. Serve it with our creamy coleslaw to complete the perfect meal.
- 8 chicken pieces (4 drumsticks and 4 thighs)
- 250 ml (1 C) buttermilk
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 ml (2 C) breadcrumbs
- sunflower oil for frying
- 1 can of Rhodes Quality Chakalaka Mild & Spicy
- Place the chicken pieces into a large bowl.
- Stir the garlic into the buttermilk and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the buttermilk over the chicken and stir to coat all the pieces in the marinade.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and toss each piece individually in the breadcrumbs, making sure that it is well covered in crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Deep fry the chicken pieces, in batches, until crisp and lightly golden.
- Place the chicken pieces onto an oven tray and bake in an oven preheated to 180C for 35 minutes or until the chicken is baked through.
- Mix together the mayonnaise and the Rhodes Quality Chakalaka Mild & Spicy.
- Serve the chicken hot with the chakalaka mayonnaise and the coleslaw.