Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Easy Boerewors Bobotie
We made our traditional South African bobotie recipe using boerewors and love the delicious result.
- 2 slices thick white bread, crusts removed
- 375 ml milk
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 15 ml (1 T) sunflower oil
- 1 kg boerewors
- 30 ml (2 T) Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam
- 60 ml (4 T) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 15 ml (1 T) medium curry powder
- 5 ml (1 t) garam masala
- 65 ml sultanas
- salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 6 bay leaves
- 3 eggs
- 5 ml (1 t) ground turmeric
- Soak the bread in 125 ml of the milk.
- Then, in a large frying pan, fry the onion in the oil until soft and fragrant.
- Chop the boerewors into evenly sized pieces, about 2 cm thick.
- Add the boerewors to the onions and brown.
- Drain and discard any excess fat from the pan and add the Rhodes Quality Smooth Apricot Jam, lemon juice, curry powder and garam masala.
- Simmer for 5 – 10 minutes then stir in the soaked bread and sultanas.
- Season to taste and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Spoon the boerewors into a casserole and press the bay leaves lightly into the top.
- Whisk the remaining 250 ml (1 C) milk and the eggs together.
- Add the turmeric and season to taste.
- Pour the milk mixture over the boerewors and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 30 – 40 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Serve with yellow rice, chutney and sambals.