Masala Curry Sauce
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) butter
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Pakco Mild and Spicy Masala Curry Powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) all-purpose flour
- 375 ml chicken stock, hot
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 8 chicken pieces
- 1 lt. (4 Cups) water
- onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 125 ml all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 250 ml (1 cup) Hinds Southern Coating Original
- oil for frying
to serve: cooked rice and fresh coriander
- To prepare the sauce, heat the butter and the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and fry without colouring until softened.
- Add the garlic and fry for a few minutes more.
- Reduce the heat and add the Pakco Mild and Spicy Masala Curry Powder and the apricot jam and stir well to coat.
- Stir in the flour.
- Gradually whisk in the hot chicken stock until a smooth thick sauce.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste.
Place the chicken pieces in a large saucepan.
- Cover with water and add the onion and bay leaves.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the chicken pieces well and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Toss the chicken in the flour and shake off any excess.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg and then toss in the Hinds Southern Coating until evenly coated.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden and crispy.
- Drain on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot over rice with the Masala Curry Sauce.