Use our homemade Tomato Sauce recipe to make Chicken Parmigiana, an American-Italian family favourite.
- 125 ml cake flour
- 4 chicken breasts, deboned and skin removed
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) breadcrumbs
- 80 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp.) flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Oil for frying
- 500 ml (2 cups) Rhodes Quality, homemade tomato sauce
- 250 ml (1 cup) Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 65 ml Fresh basil leaves
To serve: Cooked pasta
- Place each chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap and beat with a wooden rolling pin to flatten.
- Place out three bowls. In the first place the cake flour.
- In the second, lightly whisk the eggs.
- In the third place the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, and seasoning.
- Dip each chicken fillet into flour and shake to remove any excess.
- Dip each chicken breast into the eggs & then into bread crumb mixture, such that a coat of crumbs adheres evenly to the chicken.
- Heat some oil in a non-stick frying pan and brown the chicken on each side, until golden.
- Place a layer of prepared Tomato Sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Place the chicken on top of the sauce.
- Top each piece with a generous spoonful of the prepared Tomato Sauce.
- Sprinkle over the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the chicken parmigiana in an oven that has been preheated to 180°C for 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubbly and chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with the fresh basil leaves and serve over pasta.