This versatile sauce is perfect for lasagne, pizza, or over pasta and meatballs. Making your own tomato sauce from scratch is very rewarding. Starting with a good strong flavour base of onions, leeks and celery, this flavoursome tomato sauce is the kitchen basic you want to have on hand at all times. Make an extra batch and freeze in smaller portions ready to use when you are.
- 30 ml (2 T) butter
- 30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 10 ml (2 t) chopped garlic
- 30 ml (2 T) parsley, chopped
- 2 x 400 g cans Rhodes Quality Tomatoes Chopped and Peeled
- 115 g can or cup of Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste Cup
- salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- Heat the butter and oil, add the vegetables and fry until soft.
- Stir in the garlic, parsley, Rhodes Quality Tomatoes Chopped and Peeled and Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste, bring to the boil and season to taste.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Puree until smooth and use as required.
- You can freeze any leftovers in small quantities to be used at a later stage.