Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Cape Brandy Pudding
The Cape’s favourite pudding, the sister to malva pudding. Also know as Tipsy Tart, our version has a non-alcoholic solution.
- 250 g pitted dates, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- 250 ml (1 cup) boiling water
- 125 g (125 ml) butter, softened
- 100 g (125 ml) sugar
- 100g (65 ml) Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam
- 2 eggs
- 240 g (2 cups) cake flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 100 g walnuts, lightly roasted and chopped
- 250 g sugar
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) butter
- 190 ml (¾ cup) water
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
- a pinch salt
- 125 ml (½ cup) brandy or substitute with Rhodes Quality Apple 100% Fruit Juice
- to serve: whipped cream
- Place the chopped dates in a bowl.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda and pour over the boiling water.
- Allow to soak and cool.
- Cream the butter, sugar and Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam until creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat into the butter.
- Pour in the soaked dates with the water and beat well.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Spoon the batter into a baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake the pudding in an oven that has been preheated to 180° for 40 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- To make the sauce, heat the sugar, butter and water over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the vanilla, salt and brandy (or Rhodes Quality Apple 100% Fruit Juice) and once the sauce is warmed through remove from the heat.
- Pour the brandy syrup over the hot pudding straight from the oven.
- Serve hot, with whipped cream.