Spicy, fragrant, and comforting this black bean soup easily made with Rhodes Quality Black Beans will help cut through the chill of winter nights.
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp.) Sunflower oil
- 100g Smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) Ground cumin
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) Dried oregano
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Tomatoes Chopped & Peeled
- 1 lt. (4 cups) chicken stock
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 x 400 g cans Rhodes Quality Black Beans, drained and rinsed
To serve: Garnish with sour cream and chopped parsley and serve with tortilla chips. Try this recipe with some chorizo sausage for more spice.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Fry the sausage slices to brown on both sides. Remove from the saucepan and set aside.
- Add onion and red pepper to the pan and fry until softened. Add the garlic and fry for a few minutes more. Add the cumin and oregano.
- Add the can of Rhodes Quality Chopped Tomatoes, chicken stock and the Rhodes Quality Black Beans and bring the soup to the boil.
- Remove half of the soup from the pan and puree to smooth.
- Return the pureed soup and the sausage to the saucepan and heat through.
- Season to taste.