- 250 ml (1 Cup) sushi rice250 ml (1 Cup) sushi rice
- 375 ml (1½ Cups) water
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) sugar
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) rice vinegar
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) salt
- Apricot Sauce
- 65 ml (4 Tbsp) Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam
- 1 x 50 g sachet Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) rice vinegar
- 65 ml (4 Tbsp) soya sauce
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) cornflour
- 160 ml (⅔ Cup) cake flour
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground garlic powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground paprika
- 2 eggs, whisked
- to serve: 3 spring onions, sliced
- To make the sushi rice, place the sushi rice in a bowl of cold water and stand for 15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse until the water runs clear.
- Leave the rice to stand for 20 minutes.
- Place the washed rice into a small saucepan with the 375 ml (1½ Cups) water
- and cover with a fitting lid.
- Bring to the boil and cook at boiling for 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, do not remove the lid, and stand for 10 minutes.
- While the rice is standing, gently heat the sugar, vinegar and salt in a small saucepan until the sugar has dissolved.
- Transfer the rice to a large bowl.
- Fold a little of the vinegar mix into the rice at a time, stirring until the rice has absorbed it each time.
- Continue folding gently until the rice has cooled and is shiny.
- Set aside.
- To make the apricot sauce, place the Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam, the Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste and the remaining ingredients together in a bowl and whisk well.
- Set Aside.
- Toss the chicken in the cornflour and dust off any excess.
- Season the flour with the salt and pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- Dip the chicken in the beaten egg and then into the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or frying pan.
- Cook the chicken, in batches, until golden and crispy. Set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean with paper towel.
- Bring the sauce to the boil in the pan.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and stir to coat.
- Serve the chicken over the rice and sprinkle with the spring onion.
Serve over white rice instead of sushi rice.