An easy and crunchy sheet bake with a sweet apricot centre. These bars are a perfect tea time treat, but your children will love finding them in their lunchboxes too.
- 125 ml (½ C) butter
- 125 ml (½ C) sugar
- 15 ml (1 T) sunflower oil
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 500 ml (2 C) cake flour
- 15 ml (1 T) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (½ t) salt
- 80 g chopped almonds
- 1 x 825 g can Rhodes Apricot Halves in Syrup, drained
- Cream the butter and sugar with the oil and vanilla essence until light and creamy, add the egg and beat well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and then add to the creamed mixture, working the mixture into a dough.
- Halve the dough.
- Add the chopped almonds to one half of the dough and mix well until the almonds are evenly distributed through the dough.
- Place this almond half of the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Press the unfrozen dough evenly across the bottom of a greased cake pan.
- Puree the Rhodes Quality Apricot Halves or chop very finely.
- Spread the dough with all of the puree.
- Crumble the frozen dough over the top of the apricots, and bake in the oven preheated to 180 C for 40 minutes or until golden and crunchy.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool.
- Slice into 12 equal bars.