No true-blooded South African will be able to resist these delicious vetkoek filled with chopped wors and a rich tomato gravy.
- 1 kg (7 C) cake flour
- 5 ml (1 t) salt
- 10 ml (2 t) sugar
- 65 ml butter
- 1 packet instant yeast (10 g)
- 750 – 875 ml warm water
- sunflower oil for frying
- Rhodes Quality Tomato & Onion Mix
- Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles crumbs.
- Add the yeast and stir well to mix.
- Then add enough of the warm water to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic, cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise until it has doubled in size.
- Knock the dough down and divide it into 30 equal pieces.
- Roll into balls and place on a floured baking sheet, leaving enough space between them to expand and rise.
- Cover and leave to rise in a warm spot for another 30 minutes.
- Half fill a saucepan with oil and heat.
- Fry the vetkoek over medium-high heat until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- To make the filling, chop the boerewors into bite sized pieces.
- Place the boerewors and the Rhodes Quality Tomato & Onion Gravy in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Serve the vetkoek hot, filled with the boerewors and gravy.