By adding just a few extra ingredients, you can turn plain rice into a colourful and nutritious veggie-friendly side dish.
- 65 ml butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5 ml (1 t) ground cumin
- 375 g long grain rice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 liter (4 C) prepared chicken stock, hot
- 2 x 400 g cans Rhodes Quality Mixed Vegetables, drained
- Heat 45 ml (3 T) of the butter in a medium deep saucepan.
- Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes over medium heat or until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the garlic and the cumin and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir until the rice is well coated in the butter mixture.
- Reduce the heat and stir the rice over low heat to lightly toast it for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the hot stock and a little salt and stir well.
- Cover the saucepan with a fitting lid or tin foil and place the saucepan into an oven preheated to 180°C.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Use a fork to stir in the Rhodes Quality Mixed Vegetables and separate the rice grains.
- Replace the cover and return to the oven.
- Bake for a further 5 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked through and has absorbed all the chicken stock.
- Stir in the remaining butter, until it is melted.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve hot.