Made with these products Rhodes Quality Products
Vanilla Sponge Cake
An easy to make light-and-airy classic sandwich cake filled with Rhodes Strawberry Jam and topped with fresh berries. This cake contains no fat so it is best served on the day it is baked.
- 6 large eggs
- 250 ml (1 C) castor sugar
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- 250 ml (1 C) cake flour
- 5 ml (1 t) baking powder
- 15 ml (1 T) boiling water
- 125 ml Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam
- whipped cream (optional)
- icing sugar for dusting
- fresh berries for decorating
- Beat the eggs, castor sugar and vanilla essence together until the mixture is thick and creamy and leaves a trail.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and gently fold it into the eggs.
- Fold in the boiling water.
- Pour the batter into 2 cake pans sprayed with non-stick spray and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 20 minutes or until a skewer, when inserted, comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Sandwich the two halves of the cake together with the Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam and whipped cream, if using.
- Decorate with the fresh berries.