Call the kids to the kitchen they’ll love helping you make these tasty treats. They’re also known as thumbprint cookies, because you use your thumb to create a cavity, which holds a little treasure of sweet jam. For variation, use any of the delicious jams in the Rhodes Quality range.
- 125 ml butter, softened
- 125 ml castor sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- 500 ml (2 C) cake flour
- 60 ml (4 T) corn flour
- 5 ml (1 t) baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 12 teaspoons of Rhodes Quality Mixed Fruit Jam
- icing sugar
- Beat the butter and castor sugar together until creamy. Beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, corn flour, baking powder and salt together and add to the butter mixture.
- Bring together to create a firm dough.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Roll equal-sized balls of dough and place on the baking sheet.
- Use your thumb, or the back of a wooden spoon, to make an indent in the dough and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 10 – 12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Fill the indent with Rhodes Quality Mixed Fruit Jam and dust with icing sugar.