A variation on the three bean salad, this recipe is heart-warming and delicious on a chilly day. Full of protein-rich Rhodes Quality bean products, this dish can be served as a vegetarian main course or as a side dish along with roasted chicken or grilled meats. Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients, this recipe is simple and easy to put together.
- 65 ml brown vinegar
- 65 ml chutney
- 30 ml (2 T) brown sugar
- 15 ml (1 T) masala spice
- 15 ml (1 T) corn flour
- 65 ml water
- 1 small green pepper, cut into small cubes
- 45 ml (3 T) sunflower or olive oil
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Butter Beans, drained
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Green Beans, Cross Cut, drained
- 1 x 400 g can Rhodes Quality Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- First make the dressing. Place the vinegar and chutney in a small pan.
- Combine the sugar, masala, corn flour and water and mix until smooth then pour into the pan.
- Stir over medium heat until thickened then add the green pepper.
- Allow to simmer for a few seconds, remove from heat and stir the oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the drained Rhodes Quality Butter Beans, the drained Rhodes Quality Green Beans, the Rhodes Quality Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce and the onion.
- Add the dressing and seasoning to taste then mix.
- Cover and place in the fridge for at least 3 hours but preferably overnight before serving.