This sweet and sour chicken recipe is a quick mid-week solution for the busy cook. Simply chop up a medley of delicious fruit and veg flavours, fry and enjoy.
- 500 ml (2 C) sliced carrots
- 250 ml (1 C) diced green pepper
- sunflower oil as required
- 8 chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 x 825 g can Rhodes Quality Pineapple Rings in Light Syrup, drained and halved, syrup reserved
- 125 ml vinegar
- 250 ml (1 C) Rhodes Quality Tomato Puree
- 500 ml (2 C) prepared chicken stock
- 65 ml brown sugar
- 15 ml (1 T) chopped garlic
- salt and pepper
- Stir-fry the carrots and green pepper in a little oil until glossy then add the chicken and fry until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the can of Rhodes Quality Pineapple Rings in Light Syrup, reserve the syrup and halve the pineapple rings.
- Add the rings to the chicken together with the syrup then add the vinegar, tomato puree, chicken stock, sugar and garlic.
- Bring to a boil and thicken with the corn flour mixed with a little water.
- Season to taste then simmer briefly, just until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with rice or noodles.