We love this tea time, any time treat. We’ve simply sandwiched two butter cookies together using our Rhodes Strawberry Jam. It’s a quick & easy touch that makes them fabulous enough to give as a special gift.
- 400 g butter, softened
- 150 g caster sugar
- 50 g icing sugar
- 300 g cake flour
- 2.5 ml salt
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg yolk
To assemble: Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam, icing sugar
- Using the K-beater attachment (the flat attachment) and an electric mixer, cream the butter and the sugars together until pale and creamy.
- Sift the flour and salt and add to the bowl.
- Add the lemon zest and the egg yolk.
- Continue beating until the mixture comes together to form a firm dough.
- Work the dough into a ball by hand.
- Divide the dough in two, flatten each ball and wrap it in cling wrap before refrigerating the dough for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place between two sheets of baking paper.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out evenly.
- Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut the dough into hearts and place on a baking tray.
- Cut out a small circle in the center of half of the heart cookies.
- Bake the cookies in an oven which has been preheated to 180°C for 12 -15 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden.
- To assemble, place a blob of Rhodes Quality Strawberry Jam on one full heart cookie and use it to sandwich a second heart cookie with a cut-out on top.
- Dust with icing sugar.