- 2 red peppers,
- 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) sunflower oil
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Chickpeas in Brine, drained
- 1 x 50 g sachet Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 250 g macaroni
- 500 ml (2 cups baby spinach
- 65 ml (¼ cup) grated pecorino cheese
- Place the red peppers onto a baking tray that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Roast in an oven preheated to 200 °C for 10 minutes.
- Add the onions and the garlic to the tray, drizzle with the sunflower oil and roast for 10 minutes more or until the skin of the red peppers are blackened.
- Remove from the oven and using tongs, move the peppers into bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave to cool..
- Remove the skin and the seeds of the red pepper and place the flesh into a blender.
- Add the roasted onion and garlic.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Chickpeas and the Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste.
- Process to a smooth paste.
- Bring the pasta to the boil in water and salt and cook to tender.
- Reserve 500 ml (2 cups) of the pasta cooking water and drain the macaroni.
- Spoon the chick pea and red pepper paste into the same saucepan.
- Add enough of the reserved water to create a sauce.
- Return the macaroni and add the spinach to the saucepan and toss well to mix.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and serve.