Need a fun lunch idea? Serve these South African-style corn dogs with a proudly South African Rhodes Quality Braai Relish.
- 315 ml cake flour
- 5 ml (1 t) salt
- 190 ml polenta / yellow maize
- 5 ml (1 t) baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 190 ml milk
- 250 ml (1 C) Rhodes Quality Cream Style Sweetcorn
- 8 hot dog sausages cut in half
- 16 wooden skewers
- oil for deep frying
to serve: 1 x 400 g Rhodes Braai Relish and mustard (optional)
- Mix the flour, salt, polenta and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs and the milk and whisk to a smooth batter.
- Leave the batter to stand for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Stir the Rhodes Quality Cream Style Sweetcorn into the batter.
- The batter must be thick enough to hold on the sausage, but not so thick that it is difficult to dip the sausages into the batter.
- Correct the consistency if necessary, using a little extra flour if the batter is too runny, or a little extra milk if the batter is too thick.
- Skewer the sausages onto the wooden skewers.
- Heat the oil to a constant 190°C.
- Dip each sausage into the batter until well coated.
- Deep fry in the oil and remove when golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the excess oil on paper towel.
- Serve hot with Rhodes Quality Braai Relish and mustard.