- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) sunflower oil
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 800 g beef brisket
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400 g Rhodes Quality Tomato Chopped and Peeled
- 2.5 ml ground cumin
- 2.5 ml oregano
- 2.5 ml paprika
to serve: 6 hamburger buns, softened butter and 6 Rhodes Quality Dill Gherkins, drained and sliced
- Heat the oil in a large oven proof saucepan.
- Season the brisket with the salt and pepper and, in batches, brown on both sides.
- Set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the onion, green pepper and garlic for a few minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Tomato Chopped and Peeled.
- Bring to the boil and season with the herbs and spices.
- Return the brisket to the pan.
- Cover with a lid and transfer to an oven preheated to 160°C and braise for 2-3 hours or until the brisket is tender.
- Remove the brisket and shred using two forks.
- Return to the sauce.
- Stir to mix and heat through.
- Serve on warm buttered buns with the sliced Rhodes Quality Dill Gherkins.